Tuesday, January 31, 2012

St. Petersburg!



After 9 and a half hours of airtime and crossing 9 time zones, I finally arrived in St. Petersburg. The first thing I saw when I looked out the windoe when we were about to land was snow covered beige buildings. I can only assume the lack of color is due to the communist phase of Russia and our head director quickly pointed out on the bus that this was not the nicest part of town. The area my dorm is in isn't the nicest part as well either though, there are several factories and departments that can be seen from the window. However atleast there are stores and the booming Netsky prospect is just a metro ride awaay. Here are some pictures from my trip so far.
Here is my dorm

It was pretty fun to watch the ducks get blown around on the partically frozen water














Fortress of St. Petersburg














There is a myth that Peter the Great saw a rabbit in eaxctly the same spot as the statue and decided to name the island rabbit island. People like to throw coins at the base of the statue and make a wish.















Fort from the inside


This section was used as a prision, Peter the Great even imprisioned his own son when he tried to over throw him














Statue of Peter the Great... I don't know why they made his head so small















Frozen Neva

Statue of Peter the great, you can barely even see me!



















Amazing even in the freezing cold



















An unmarried princess commissioned this monestary to be built so she could live there for her remaining years. However she died before it was completed


















Here are just some of the beige buildings I was talking about














Ok well that's all for now, tomorrow we will be visiting The Hermitage which includes the Winter Palace, so more pictures and updates to come.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment